The Devil Wears Prada




Author: Lauren Weisberger


Publisher: New York: Doubleday 2003
ISBN-978-0385509268
pages: 360
Author's blog

Classification: Young Adult Fiction
Genre: Chick Lit
Topics: humor, journalism
Media Type: Book

Grade level: 10-Adult

Reader's annotation:
Is suffering under the editor from hell really going to get her a writing job at the New Yorker, even if she is the most powerful? Andrea is going to find out, if it kills her.

Summary:
Ivy league graduate Andrea, wants to break into the magazine business but she knows she will have to pay her dues. Although she wants to work for the New Yorker, it is a fashion magazine that will hire her. She walks unsuspectingly into a vipers next of competition and expectation. Although she is clearly being abused in her job, editor Miranda is too powerful to complain so Andrea does the best she can and then does better. We laugh at her escapades and marvel at her creativeness in pleasing her boss.

Evaluation:
Very funny book, a great summer reading choice. Teens who read fashion magazines or are thinking of going into publishing will enjoy this chick lit story. The movie was also very funny and stayed fairly close to the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I grew up outside of Boston, went to college in western MA and lived in NYC dancing for several years before getting my teaching credentials and unintentionally moving to Santa Cruz CA. Married and divorced with two kids almost grown, a daughter in college and a son in high school, I am thrilled to be a librarian now, something that I should have done years ago. I love the applications of technology and realize that I have been interested in that since my first computer class back in 1986 - a new requirement for teaching degrees. Finally I can combine my love of curriculum, educational resources, working with adults and children, and technology applications.

Followers